We are in awe of the steps our chapters and members have taken against racial injustice and bigotry, and we celebrate you. Alpha Omicron Pi is committed to do better and we want you to know we are listening and appreciate your perspective. We recognize we have not done nearly enough in the past. We are taking this time to educate ourselves and looking to the future on how to better educate our chapters and take action to improve our support for the Black Community and all POC within our chapters and our communities. We are working on an action plan moving forward, and educating ourselves on ways that we can implement this action into our day-to-day Fraternity operations for all AOII sisters that now are or will be in time to come.
Align, Educate & Participate
We would like to thank our sisters from Kappa Omicron (Rhodes College) and Nu Omicron (Vanderbilt University) for sharing their Align, Educate and Participate information below as we continue to build a space to share resources.
Align Yourself With a Cause
- Examine your values and how your actions outwardly reflect upon those values
- Listen thoughtfully to those whose experiences differ from your own
- Hold yourself accountable to call out instances of bigotry
- Be mindful to share images and videos that are appropriate and respectful
Educate Yourself On the History of Inequality in America
- Take initiative to independently seek out knowledge without relying upon others to teach you
- Read articles, books, speeches, and website from a variety of perspectives, ensuring to include works written by POC
- Reflect upon art, movies, comedy, and literature created by artists of color through a lens of empathy and understanding
- Encourage conversation among your peers and family
- Attend campus events hosted by cultural organizations
- Identify groups or organizations with goals and values similar to your own
- Donate as you are able to organizations that support those impacted by injustice or violence
- Sign petitions to express your voice
- Exercise your right to vote for officials at every level who advocate for the principles in which you believe
- Use any platform at your disposal to raise awareness for injustice and violations of humanity
- Remain committed to your own education and engagement over time, in the absence of heavy news coverage
We understand that words are meaningless unless we accept our responsibility to work towards an equitable future. And as a Fraternity, we are committed to Inspiring Ambition in all that we do, not just through our words, but also through action. To that end, we have compiled several resources to help our members and groups who wish to take action in their communities.
Read, Watch, Listen
For Members Who are Parents
This is not an exhaustive list and will continue to be updated.
While these resources are a starting point, Alpha Omicron Pi is committed to continuing this conversation by providing educational resources for how our members and chapters can educate ourselves and others, and advocate for justice and equity. We have a community of sisters who can discuss, learn, and share with a spirit of Fraternity and love, and we want to encourage our members to do so.