Using Ritual During Recruitment
by Kay Elam, Sigma Delta (Huntingdon College), Rituals, Traditions, and Jewelry Committee
If we can’t share our Ritual with others, how can we use it during recruitment? Here, in no particular order, are 10 reasons to utilize Ritual during recruitment… and suggestions on how to do it.
- Use Ritual as a reminder of AOII’s core values. Ritual is the foundation of our Fraternity. As members, we believe in and hopefully possess these values.
- Application: Seek new members who are like-minded. This is the bond that makes our sisterhood strong.
- Use Ritual to calm the chapter. Take time to block intrusions from the outside world (even if only for a few minutes).
- Application: Before parties, have the Chapter President or Keeper of the Ritual share a short passage from Ritual. Encourage sisters to hold the passage in their hearts during the parties.
- Use Ritual to instill confidence. Every member plays an important role during recruitment, but confidence doesn’t come naturally to everyone.
- Application: Remember our Founders were dynamic, intelligent, and confident women. Strive to follow their examples. Read the Collegiate Chapter Installation Charge. Confidence will follow… guaranteed.
- Use Ritual as a conversation topic. Each day you have areas to cover… finances, philanthropy, scholarship, activities, etc. Likewise, you can talk about Ritual without disclosing the specifics.
- Application: Share some ways Ritual is special. It hasn’t changed in almost 125 years yet is still relevant. It is simple, beautiful, and something to look forward to.
- Use Ritual to strengthen the Chapter’s bonds of sisterhood. Sharing Ritual with sisters provides unity and harmony for a chapter.
- Application: Make time for a formal Ritual during work week.
- Use Ritual for guidance and focus. Ritual is a roadmap for our own behavior with our sisters and with potential new members.
- Application: Read and reflect upon your initiation promises and call upon them when interacting with sisters and with PNMs.
- Use Ritual to attract the women you want as future sisters. Keep in mind Ritual is a two-way street. Just as you are looking for outstanding women, potential new members are seeking outstanding chapters.
- Application: Show with your actions the character of your chapter. Watching sisters as they live Ritual will attract the women best suited for your chapter.
- Use Ritual to set the tone for membership selection. Lean on Ritual to make good choices.
- Application: Open and close the MS meeting with Ritual. If necessary, use short passages from Ritual to regain focus.
- Use Ritual to remind you who you are as an individual, a chapter, an organization and a Panhellenic member. Determine what’s important to you, your chapter, AOII as a whole, and your Greek community.
- Application: Embrace Ritual to be the best you that you can be.
- Use Ritual to guarantee the future of our Fraternity. In AOII new members are chosen by collegiate members. Therefore, the future of not only your chapter but also of Alpha Omicron Pi is in your hands.
- Application: Exert the utmost care during the selection process as the future of the Fraternity depends on well-chosen members.
You may contact the Rituals, Traditions, and Jewelry Committee (RT&J) about anything Ritual-related at RT&J@alphaomicronpi.org.